South Florida Chefs Come Together for Hurricane Irma Relief
Property damage and financial hardship are widespread in the Florida Keys in the wake of Hurricane Irma, and many residents are desperate.
Chef Adam Brown of The Cooper in Palm Beach Gardens, along with En-Flux private chef Troy Sheller, are organizing a massive effort to help food and beverage hospitality employees who are out of work.
“It all started as a Facebook post,” says Brown. “The response was spontaneous and amazing.
I can’t believe all the people who want to help. Thankfully, it’s growing into an area-wide, collaborative program.”
“Tourism is the lifeblood of the Keys,” adds Sheller. “It forms the basis of the economy, and the area can’t survive without restaurants and bars. If Palm Beach County had been hit just as hard, we would be suffering equally. It’s gratifying for us that we can lend a helping hand to people in the industry.”
The relief effort is twofold:
- The participating chefs and restaurants have agreed to donate a percentage of their daily revenue from Thursday, October 5, and other services or auction items.
- A Chefs for the Keys event will be held on Friday, October 6 at the Riviera Beach Marina Village from 7 p.m. to 10 p.m. Tickets are $125 and will include food from the area’s top chefs, an open bar, live entertainment, and a silent auction. The event is being emceed by Mo & Sally from KOOL 105.5. Seating is limited, so please purchase your tickets at seventastings.com/chefs-for-the-keys. The event facility is being sponsored by Commissioner Dawn Pardo and the Riviera Beach CRA Marina Village Event Center.
“All our customers have to do on Thursday is show up,” says Brown. “Simply by eating and drinking in our restaurants, they’ll be contributing to those affected by Hurricane Irma. By attending the event on Friday, they can make a much larger impact.”
Current participating chefs and restaurants include:
- Addam Actis, Corner Porch
- Adam Brown, The Cooper
- Ben Burger, Mariposa
- Gustavo Calderon, 3800 Ocean at Palm Beach Marriott Singer Island Beach Resort & Spa
- Brian Cartenuto, Tucker Dukes and Union 27
- Lynn Dorsey, Magick in Your Kitchen
- Scott Edison, Dubliner Irish Pub
- Bruce Feingold, DADA
- Chuck Gittleman, Cask + Shaker
- Eddie Grosman, private chef
- Eric Grutka, Ian’s Tropical Grill
- Michael Hackman, Aioli
- Jeremy Hanlon, Benny’s on the Beach
- Alethea Hickman, Stonebridge Country Club
- Thomas Opt Holt, 50 Ocean
- Nina Kauder, private chef
- Seth Evan Kirschbaum, Restoration Hardware
- Michael Kuckelman, Bush Brothers
- Tim Nickey, Kapow! Noodle Bar
- Taun Norlander, private chef
- George Patti, MEAT Eatery and Union 27
- Scott Randazzo, Dubliner Irish Pub
- Mike Saperstein, Rebel House/Sunshine Provisions
- Troy Sheller, En-Flux Private Chef Services
- Charlie Soo, Talay Thai Cuisine
- Andrew Tsang, Drew’s Island Catering
- Desserts by David Innes, Sundy House
The list of sponsors and donors is growing, but currently includes:
- Accurate Event Group
- Bush Brothers
- Cod & Capers Seafood
- Commissioner Dawn Pardo
- Culinary Convenience
- Islamorada Beer Company
- Mariani Marketing & Events
- Mr. Greens
- Oceana Coffee
- Chefs for the Keys, Page 3
- Riviera Beach Marina Village
- South Florida Dines
- Southern Glazer’s Wine & Spirits of Florida
- Sunshine Provisions
- The Chefs’ Warehouse
- The Cooper, Craft Kitchen & Bar
- Twisted Trunk
- UniteUs Group
- Venue Marketing Group
- Viking Yachts
- Wellington Hospitality Group
Thursday, October 5 and Friday, October 6, 2017
Chef for the Keys
Riviera Beach Marina Village
7 p.m. to 10 p.m.
200 E. 13th Street, Riviera Beach, FL 33404
$125 per person.
Available for purchase at: seventastings.com/chefs-for-the-keys
All proceeds will benefit the food and beverage hospitality workers in the Florida Keys who are out of work due to the storm. The money is being donated to the Islamorada Beer Company team, founders of the Florida Keys Fund/Gotta Love Them Fund, a 501(c)3 nonprofit, to make sure all proceeds are distributed to those individuals.
The Keys belong to all of us.
Latest posts by Cristyle (see all)
- Discover the Ale Trail of the Palm Beaches! - 04/01/2019
- EarthFare comes to Boynton Beach! - 03/17/2019
- Proper Ice Cream to Open Second Location in Delray Beach - 03/04/2019